Only a few miles from the Missouri, settlers arrived in southeastern Cass County as early as 1855. The cluster of houses called “Stringtown,” located on the east side of Weeping Water Creek in the 1880s, was the forerunner of Union. In 1887, when the Missouri Pacific Railroad began surveying for a rail line from Nebraska City to Lincoln, G. A. Rose saw the potential for business, so built a store. A siding added to the excitement felt in the area. The following year several of the small inland post offices consolidated into one, called “Pleasant Grove” by the residents, was moved to an office at the rail center by Postmaster Robert Frans. In 1890, when the enterprising MP started laying a line northward to Omaha, the village of “Union” was established. It was this junction or “union of the two rail lines” that gave our town its name.