Three men named “Sam” were instrumental in the early development of the town of Eagle:
1) Sam Prouty, an early settler to the region, took aim and shot an eagle from the sky. Proud of this trophy, he chose “Eagle” for the name of the post office, which he established in his home on November 5, 1869; 2) Sam McClintic sold land to the Missouri Pacific Railroad in 1886 as construction began on the branch line from Weeping Water to Lincoln. He turned down the idea that the town be called “McClintic” in his honor, suggesting that they use the name of the nearby post office, “Eagle,” instead; 3) Sam English came to Eagle during its first year and opened a general store that became the focal point of the community. He also edited the local newspaper, the “Eagle Eaglet.” Eagle celebrated its centennial in grand fashion in 1986. Recent developments, including new businesses along Main Street and a number of new residents, bode well for the future of Eagle.